Post-Doctorate Degrees in Poland
Post-Doctoral studies refer to the research carried by a student post his/her doctoral study either full-time or part-time. These are actually paid positions such as assistant professor or research assistant. The pay is either fixed sum for research purpose funded by scholarship or monthly pay for your research and teaching.
As, Polish higher education is all about supporting research, there are some positions in most of prominent universities. Remember, only those who have completed their doctoral research can participate in these programmes.
Here are two very important programmes run by Polish universities or government agency:
University of Warsaw
Faculty of “Artes Liberales” at University of Warsaw is welcoming applications for two post-doctoral fellowships in Poland. The length of research is 18 months which pays c. 4500 PLN monthly, after taxes). Candidates must be fluent in both spoken and in print English and in other languages essential for doing research in the selected field of research. Selection will be grounded on candidate’s academic and/or qualified career, research interests, and the study work plan for the next two years, and languages capability
About Scholarship: Key tasks for post-doc in the Project
- Helping the PhD students taking part in the Project: discussion with PhD students working in the Plan in the same research field
- Leading workshops for PhD students on themes of the Project.
- Assist the Project’s PhD students who are making the final versions of their doctoral papers (the official role of assistant advisor is possible);
- Steady work on his/her own research development in order to increase the study results of the Project (no less than 3 peer-reviewed publications thru participation in the Project):
- Active contribution in all meetings of the Project’s squad, contribution to group work; making individual and team presentations;
- Community presentations of research outcomes at conferences in Poland and overseas; publication of the outcomes in recognized magazines and volumes;
Course Level: Postdoctoral fellowship
Learning by: University of Warsaw
Eligibility: The candidates are expected to:
A students should have a PhD degree in the mortalities, social sciences or theological studies, done not before January 1, 2010 (certificate or an official University diploma confirming the degree is obligatory);
- The term may be extended for two more years in the cases below:
- For male candidates who had taken paternity leave of at least 3 months
- For female candidates who gave birth or adopted a child
- Demonstrate academic achievements (publications, conference papers, organizing scholarly activities);
2. FUGA: Post-Doctoral Internships
A funding opening addressed to scientists with a doctoral degree about to go on board on a career in research. The programme means to facilitate mobility of Polish scholars between different institutes in Poland and to support the discussion of scientific ideas.
- The applicant specifies an academic tutor inside a higher education institution or research acting organization where he/she aims to conduct the internship.
- The site of the planned internship cannot be similar to the one where the candidate has completed or is finishing studies.
- Neither can it be located within the same wojewodztwo (province) where the applicant achieved their academic gradation or is working.
Only offers from within NCN Panels, including basic research may be submitted in reply to NCN calls for offers.
Duration: Minimum 12 months and up to 36 months
Evaluation criteria: The technical excellence of the planned research, the study portfolio of the candidate and his or her supervisor, the academic position of the host institution.The writers with the best applications will be asked for an interview directed in Polish. Based on the meetings, the Expert Team will choose the candidates to award the scholarships.
Funding: The successful scholar will be employed in the host institute on a fulltime basis (with a pay of ca. 10,000 PLN per month) and can also receive resources to cover the cost of session participation and the purchase of volumes and laboratory equipment.
Application: Printed in both Polish and English
Calls for applications for post-doctoral internships are declared once a year.