Study Visa and Work Permit for International Students

International students who wish to study or work in Poland may or may not require the visa. Read the post to know about the visa requirements, conditions and exemptions. 

Study Visa

Students who wish to study in Poland for a period of more than 90 days are required to apply for a study visa in some cases. 

Students from EU/EEA Countries

The students coming from EU/EEA countries do not require visa in order to enter Poland to commence a course of study. The only thing they need is a travel document that verifies their identity and nationality.  

If the stay is for a period of less than 3 months, in that case, there are no formal requisites. 
However, the studies take a longer time, so registration of residence is compulsory. Register the residence with the provincial (Voivodship) office. 

Students from non EU Countries

Students coming from non-EU countries are required to apply for a student visa in order to enter Poland for study purposes. They must apply for it at the Polish consulate in their country of residence. Also, they must possess a valid travel document. 

Students coming from of Non-EU/EEA countries, who are required to get a visa, can apply for different kinds of visas. The visa type depends upon the purpose and period of stay in the country. You can apply for short-term visa or long-term visa. The application process generally takes place between 10 to 60 days. 

Types of Visa

Poland is a part of the Schengen region, so one can apply for a Polish visa as well as travel all around Europe, except Ireland, Croatia, the United Kingdom, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, and states outside of the EU.

Schengen C-Type Visa

The Schengen C-type visa is valid in Schengen states and allows the holders to stay in the Schengen states for a period of up to 90 days or 180 days.  

National D-Type Visa

Candidates who wish to stay in Poland for a period of over 90 days, they must apply for national D-type visa.
The national D-type visa entitles the holder to stay in the territory of Poland throughout the duration of its validity.  Also, they are allowed to move within the territory of other Schengen states for up to 90 days or 180 days. If your stay is more than the period specified, you are required to apply for the temporary residence permit. 

Polish Short-Stay Visa

Tourist Visa
Candidates applying for a tourist visa for Poland are allowed to stay in a Poland for a period of maximum 3 months. 

Business Visa 
A one-time entry Business Visa is valid for up to 3 months, while a multiple-entry Visa is valid for a maximum of 6 months. Candidates should possess a valid, official Invitation Letter in order to apply for a Business visa and it can be extended in the local passport office. 

Transit Visa for Poland
Candidates can travel through Poland on their way to another country with the Transit Visa. This type of visa is valid for a maximum of 48 hours from the time of entry into Poland. To apply for this type, you are required to present a visa from the destination country of your trip. This visa cannot be used by a student coming to Poland. 

Visa-free Countries

There are certain countries that do not require visa when entering Poland for less than 90 days. To know about such countries follow the link

Applying Procedure

Applications for all the types of visas must be made at the Polish consulate or embassy in your present country of residence. To find out the nearest Polish embassy, visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Weblink 
Set a visa appointment with the concerned consulate. Fill out a visa application form and pay the required visa application fee. Submit the form along with certain required documents. You should also possess a passport with 12 months validity from the date on which the visa is issued. 


Following documents are required:
  •  Passport with at least two blank pages and valid for at least 3 months after you’ve planned departure from Poland
  • Visa Application form and fees: It must be completed and signed by you
  •  Biometric photo
  •  Health insurance
  • Accommodation Proof
  • Purpose of stay document: Admission/Confirmation letter from the university or college 
  • Sufficient financial resources that covers your study, living and other necessary expenses
To know more about the documentation, contact the relevant consular office to get complete information regarding the documents required when submitting a visa application.

Work Permit

EU country nationals and their family members do not require a work permit for Poland. The non-EU country citizens require a work visa and permit in order to work in Poland.

Applying for a work permit
The non-EU citizens who wish to work in Poland are required to fill out and submit an application to a Voivod’s Office in the district where the company or institution is located. The Voivod's Office only issues work permits for foreigners if there are no suitable Polish candidates for the position. The Voivod’s Office will set the conditions for a foreigner to get a work permit. After these conditions are fulfilled, a foreigner can get the appropriate work permit.
There are also some non-EU citizens who are legally permitted to work in Poland without the need of having an official permit. These people are as follows:
  • They work on assignments for the foreign mass media as authorized press, TV correspond, photographer or radio 
  • Are artists
  • Work for a period of less than 30 days in a year as dancers, actors, singers, or other types of artists
  • Are students of Polish universities working during holidays for a period of up to 3 months
  • Are people giving scientific or artistic value presentations or occasional speeches
  • Are employees sent to Poland for not more than 3 months to do training or for some other company work
  • Are soldiers and civil personnel of NATO in Poland
  • Are clergy

Residence Permit

Candidates whose stay in Poland is for more than 3 months are required to apply for temporary residence permit. The temporary residence permission is given for duration of maximum 2 years. It can be renewed after completion of every 2 years. The Non-EU students are required to apply for the residence permit.

To apply for the temporary resident permit, candidates must fill out an application form and submit it along with required documents, such as accommodation proof, financial resources proof, etc. to the appropriate consulate of the Republic of Poland in your country of residence. International citizens already in Poland can apply directly to the appropriate regional office of a provincial governor.

To know more about the visa for Poland, visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website
Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...
  • No Articles to display

Know More »

  • No Press Releases to display

Know More »

Poland Select a Country

Our Network :